Our Blog

Advice For Overloading Sockets And Extension Leads

We are all guilty of overloading sockets and extension leads. The number of times we take the easy way out and plug several appliances into one socket or extension leads is probably quite high. Often, the only socket will be out of reach and we need to plug in a lamp, a laptop, a phone charger, a pair of hair...

Top Tips For Avoiding Electric Shocks

Thousands of people receive non-fatal electric shocks in the UK every year, and up to another 1,000 die from what should be a very avoidable cause. At Leigh Electrical, we want to help you avoid any electrical accidents from happening, so here are a few tips to help you reduce the risk of receiving a nasty shock. Plugs - Make...

Lighting The Fire This Christmas

Christmas is all about spending quality time with family and friends, with a fire crackling away and the pleasant glow of the fairy lights on the Christmas tree and dotted around the room. If this sounds like a familiar scene in your household then you will want to make sure that your Christmas lights are set up safely and appropriately....

Electrical Safety In The Kitchen

According to government statistics, 50% of all accidental dwelling fires were caused by cooking appliances – an enormous percentage for something that can be easily prevented. Microwaves, ovens and toasters can all be culprits for house fires that can so quickly destroy everything – but luckily it’s easy to take steps to ensure you’re safe and protected. First and foremost,...

Why you should choose LED for lighting

  When you’re thinking about the best way to light your home, LED lighting might not jump immediately to mind. While you might be put off by the seemingly high price of LED light bulbs, it’ll more than pay for itself compared to many other light bulb types. They are undoubtedly more expensive at first glance, but their energy efficiency...

Fighting The Dangers Of Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a highly dangerous gas that can cause severe tissue damage, neurological symptoms, vertigo, chest pain – and even death! The gas is released when fuel does not entirely burn away, causing a build-up which would usually be siphoned away by fully functioning appliances. Carbon monoxide can be released through any appliance or fixture that burns fuel: whether...

Electrical Safety in the Bathroom

Water and electricity just don’t mix – that’s one thing everyone should be aware of. When it comes to the bathroom, the room in the house with the most danger of water, which means the risk of electrocution is raised further – so it’s even more crucial that sockets and lights are fitted by a qualified electrician. Here’s Leigh Electrical’s...

Leigh Electrical’s Guide for Tenants

Sometimes when living in a rented property it can be difficult to establish who’s responsible for what – but the last thing you want to do is to put yourself and your family at risk because of a misunderstanding. We’re here to clear up some of the confusion – here’s Leigh Electrical’s guide to electrical safety for tenants. The law...

How to Choose an Electrican

With so many competing electricians on the market, it can be difficult choosing the perfect one for you. Do they have enough experience? Will they understand my unique needs? Are they trustworthy? Have they been well received by previous customers? Here at Leigh Electrical we understand the thought processes that occur before choosing an electrician, so we’ve put together a...

Electrical Dos and Don’ts for Landlords

Renting out your property is a great way to supplement your income – however, it can often be difficult to keep track of exactly what needs to be done to provide your tenants with the safest and most secure environment possible, especially when it comes to electricity. It’s very easy to get overwhelmed with the long list of boxes to...